or e-mail us for more information.
Join Our Newsletter
Enter E-mail Address:
The Achiever Newsletter
Speed as a Trend
Harry K. Jones
Observing and reacting to trends makes the difference between success
and failure in today's marketplace. Technology is shrinking time and
space, giving customers more choices and businesses more competition with
less time to respond. Thus, speed is
an emerging trend that impacts business in a number of
In today's turbulent business world, the most profitable businesses
are those that anticipate and react quickest to customers' needs.
Success means moving more quickly than ever before. It doesn't mean
pushing yourself to work at an overstressed, breakneck pace. It does mean
taking a whole new focus and approach to working, selling, managing and
leading to speed up the business.
Researchers and consultants are talking to businesses to find what does
and doesn't work in an era of accelerating change. Whether it's
GE or Motorola in manufacturing, Wal-Mart or Home Depot in retailing,
or Southwest Airlines in the service sector, thriving
businesses are practicing some common key essentials.
- Focus on the customer. Ask, listen, and respond.
- Align with the future. Benchmark and prepare.
- Be an innovator. In an era of rapid change, improvement
through innovation is king.
- Do it with quality. It lowers costs, increases speed,
builds pride, and improves customer loyalty.
- Get rapid, accurate feedback. Know what your customers,
competitors, employees, suppliers, and the market are doing. Ignorance
can be fatal.
- Ability means agility. Be flexible and quick to respond
- If it doesn't add value, don't do it. If
an activity doesn't add value, get rid of it.
- Build teams, not empires. Self-directed work teams
make better, faster decisions.
- Lifelong learning is everybody's job.
Learn how to learn and keep learning.
- Just do it! Set deadlines that force you to use time
efficiently and effectively.
Publication Date: Winter 1995
K. Jones is a motivational speaker and consultant for AchieveMax®,
Inc., a company of professional speakers who provide custom-designed seminars,
and consulting services.
Harry's top requested topics include change management, customer
For more information on Harry's presentations, please call 800-886-2629
or fill out our contact